Screeners communicate with applicants and references outside of the screening interview on a regular basis. It is important that all relevant outreach and communications are logged in Salesforce. Logging the activity ensures that other employees and screeners have access to the applicant's progress in screening, previous communication and special circumstances as applicable. Logging provides helpful context and shows the cadence of outreach.
Where to log:
- The “Activity” tracker on the right side of the mentor application is for logging emails and calls made to/from the applicant
- The “Deadline Note” field should log when an applicant is pre-deadlined or deadlined
- The “Match Logistics” field should log a rejection blurb if the applicant has been rejected
- The “Background Check Note” field logs necessary details unique to the fingerprinting process
- The Salesforce Lightning widget logs emails from Outlook to the “Activity” tracker in Salesforce.
What to log:
- Calls made to the applicant
- Calls made to the applicant's references
- Incoming emails or calls from the applicant
- Emails sent to the applicant including reminders about next steps, rescheduling correspondence, clarifying questions, etc
- Emails from an applicant asking to reschedule an interview, fingerprinting or other appointment, especially if this is becoming a pattern
- Outreach attempts to a hard to contact mentor or a mentor who has missed an appointment
- Emails from an applicant asking a clarifying question about information/circumstances that could impact matching or acceptance into the program
- Predeadline or deadline emails to an applicant
- Background check-related updates like rescheduling an applicant who needs a reprint or a pending investigation follow up
- A rejected mentor follows up after being notified of the rejection
When not to log:
- A mentor asks a clarifying question that won’t impact matching or acceptance into the program
- A mentor is thanking you/ no real content to the message
How to log:
- Emails sent through the email widget in the mentor application automatically logs the email in the Activity history tracker. For more information about how to use the email widget in Salesforce, see these helpful articles.
- To log a note in the Deadline Note, Background Check Note, or On Hold fields, simply write in this format: “1/14/23 - Predeadlined - JG”)
- After sending or receiving an email in Outlook that should be logged, click the Salesforce Lightning icon in Outlook (the “cloud” icon in your top menu bar). This will open the Lightning sidebar. Type in the applicant's name in the search bar to find the correct mentor application (not the contact record), and click on it. Then click the “Log” button next to the mentor application name and hit Save at the bottom. For more details on how to log using the Outlook widget, and instructions for installing the Salesforce Lightning Outlook plugin, see this article.
- After sending or receiving a phone call (or to log an in person interaction), find the Activity tracker on the right hand side of the mentor application. Click "New Task" and then fill out the relevant information. Try to use a descriptive Subject line (eg LM to follow up on passed FP appt-JG. For “Due date” put the date you had the interaction. For Status, pick “Completed”, and for Activity Type pick the correct type (email, call, in person, etc.) In the “Description” or “Comments” field, you can write a brief description of the interaction if needed. Click "Save."
- If you are experiencing problems with the Salesforce Lightning plugin for Outlook or any other issues with logging activity, reach out to the iMentor Salesforce team at [email protected] or via the #support-salesforce slack channel, so they can help address the problem.