Grade # - Unit Name
Mentees will recap what they accomplished this year and reflect on their experiences with their mentors.
Welcome and Opening
Chunk One: Welcome
- Staff formally welcomes all participants.
- Staff thanks everyone for showing up on time.
- Present opportunity for school staff, principal, etc., to welcome participants.
Chunk Two: Selfies and Supper
- Staff will instruct mentors and mentees on how they will get food and return to their seats.
- Staff will have photo booth set up for mentors and mentees to visit in pairs or with friends while catching up over dinner.
- Staff will signal if and when seconds are available.
- Staff will give pairs 5 minute warning to clean up and throw away trash.
Mentors and mentees will reflect on the past year and their pair relationships.
Chunk One: Skittle Activity
- Staff will distribute 3-4 Skittles to each person
- Staff will instruct mentors and mentees to join 2 other pairs to form groups of 6
- Pairs will use the following as a conversation guide in their groups:
- For every RED Skittle you have, share one thing you're excited about for next year.
- For every GREEN Skittle you have, share one thing you will miss about this year.
- For every YELLOW Skittle you have, share a proud moment from this year.
- For every ORANGE Skittle you have, share one thing you're nervous about for next year.
- For every PURPLE Skittle you have, share one thing you appreciate about your mentor or mentee.
Chunk Two: Thank You Cards
- Staff will instruct mentors and mentees to pick up art supplies from the card station
- Participants will use the supplies they gathered to write and/or create a thank you card for their mentor/mentee
This activity provides an opportunity for pairs to end their final event on a fun, enjoyable note that also allows pairs to continue learning about one another.
Chunk One: Where The Wind Blows
- Staff will instruct participants to form one large circle around the room with their shoulders touching
- NOTE: staff can also choose to do this in two smaller circles, or adjust the logistics as needed based on the size of the event and the space available
- Staff will identify one person to begin in the center of the circle
- Staff will walk participants through an example in order to teach them the rules, i.e:
- The person in the center of the circle will call out, "The wind blows for everyone who..." and finish the sentence with a fact about themselves. For example, "The wind blows for everyone who is the oldest sibling."
- Next, everyone to whom this sentence applies, including the person who made the statement, must find a new place in the circle.
- Since there will be space in the circle for everyone except one person, the last person to find a spot will move to the center of the circle and repeat the steps above.
- Staff will repeat as long as time allows.
Community Debrief and Mentee Exit
- Staff will give pairs an opportunity to say goodbye, since this will be the last event until next year.
- Exit ritual for mentees.
- Staff will thank mentors for participating in the year.
- Staff will make any relevant announcements and preview any upcoming milestones and curriculum topics.
- Staff will instruct mentors to form groups of 2-4. In their groups, mentors should discuss:
- What is something you did well as a mentor this year? What are you proud of?
- What is a challenge you experienced in mentoring this year?
- What have you learned about being a mentor this year? How have you grown?
- Staff will facilitate a share-out.
- Staff should facilitate a closing ritual for mentors to build community and to leave on a high note.